Friday, July 25, 2014

Ask Me!

I am currently taking questions on Goodreads and I thought it would be interesting to share my answers on my blog as well. Do you have a question? Ask me on:  Goodreads.com

K. Lamb Honestly, I think the most difficult issue I have is finding the time to write. As an indie author, it is up to me to handle all aspects of my books since I am not hiring out any of the work except for my illustrations. To further compound this problem, I work. Therefore it is imperative to balance my time wisely--well--at least attempt to balance it. Like all aspects in life, things never quite seem to go according to plan. There are always interruptions, tasks to be completed, social media to be maintained, etc. You get the idea.

Finding time to write was a lot easier before I ever released a book for publication. After my first book came out I had a whole new set of tasks that I had to do on a regular basis, which limited my available writing time. I hear similar tales from my author friends. I think one mistake aspiring indie writers often forget about is the time commitment. There are many nights that I do not get to bed until well into the night and even then my head is racing with the thoughts of the things I still need to get accomplished. Luckily, before I ever released a book I spent a year researching and learning all I could so I was prepared for this scenario. Yet, what I have learned isn't even equivalent to a scratch in the surface of it all. To add to that, I have not even begun to market my books. I will be doing a new segment on my blog series, An Inside Look at the Working Indie Author, on Making Connections vs. Marketing that relates to this topic. Right now, I am merely in the stage of making myself known.

I wish it were so easy as to write a book, publish it to the world, and watch the sales roll in. The simple truth: It is not that easy! I encourage all new writers who have a story to tell to pursue their dreams, but hold on to their realistic expectations.

Wishing you a little mystery & adventure,

K. Lamb


No comments:

Post a Comment