Sunday, July 27, 2014

Ask Me!

I am currently taking questions on Goodreads and I thought it would be interesting to share my answers on my blog as well. Do you have a question? Ask me on:  Goodreads.com

K. Lamb I don't have an "average time consumed" on the editing of my books. It truly can vary depending on the amount of time I have to devote to working on any given project. One of the biggest benefits of being an indie author is that the only deadline you have to meet are the ones you impose upon yourself.

I can tell you that my first children's book took about a year from beginning to end as I was doing a lot of research. My second book came out 5 months after my first. My third book will probably average about the same, 5-6 months. A lot of this is also dependent upon how fast my illustrator is able to turn around my job requests.

I can tell you that I do spend an exorbitant amount of time on the editing process. I will admit I am not a grammar queen so I want to ensure that it is done to the best of my ability. I do not think it is fair to an editor/proofreader to turn over a problematic manuscript. I believe an author should make their best effort to clean it up prior to submitting it for review. (Although, this is probably due to the fact that my daughter is my editor/proofreader and I see what she has to go through when she receives a poorly submitted manuscript from someone.)

I hope this information helps. Thanks for all of your thoughtful questions, Raul!

Wishing you a little mystery & adventure,

K. Lamb

ADDENDUM: The best motivator I have for imposing my own deadlines are the letters and photos I receive from children. Their pleas for the next book will spur me into action faster than anything else and will keep me working late into the night to meet a deadline. For example, I had a mother write to me from the U.K. Her daughter read the first book in the series and was asking for the second book, yet unreleased, for her birthday. How could I not meet that deadline? Children are definitely my greatest motivator! 

No comments:

Post a Comment