Thursday, May 29, 2014

A Moment of Gratitude


I think it is important in life to stop and appreciate the things around you. So many times we get caught up in our busy, daily lives that we blunder through blindly without taking a moment to stop and be thankful for the blessings right in front of us.

It is with this in mind that I want to stop for a moment to recognize you, my readers, for all that you have helped me accomplish in the past 5 months with the Dani P. Mystery series.

I first launched the series in December 2013. I was an unknown author launching her first children's book series. I always thought, I'll be the tortoise, take it slow, and maybe someday I'll make it to the finish line. I don't need to be the hare. All I wanted was to write a children's series that would help promote literacy and get children passionate about reading. I thought to myself that if I take it slow, create a fan base, maybe someday Dani will be a part of an unknown child's imaginative world.

It is now five months later and even I am astonished as to how fast this process has taken movement. I still have a long way to go, but so far the journey has been incredible!

Yesterday, in honor of Children's Book Week, and the launch of my second book, Dani and the Mall Caper, I held my fourth Amazon giveaway in hopes of getting copies of Dani and the Haunted House into the hands of new readers. Amazingly to me, for the fourth time, you all sent it soaring to the #1 position on Amazon's Best Seller's List for Children's Mysteries & Detective stories. It was our biggest giveaway yet and we were able to share her adventure with 506 new friends!

Speaking of new friends, along the way, Dani and I have met some incredible people to share this experience, and her stories. She has even reached out across the Pond to the UK. Dani has also made it into a few classrooms where children have been enjoying her mysteries and learning with her help! We recently revamped her website, www.danipmystery.com, to include a special Kid Zone for children along with a separate Parent & Teacher section to provide learning resources. We are always willing to listen to new suggestions from teachers as to what they feel would be helpful to them in their classrooms!

Two questions have kept popping up over the last few months repeatedly by others. The first has been if I thought the Dani P. Mystery series would be famous someday? That has never been the purpose of Dani; I neither seek fame for myself or my creation. Dani's purpose is to give back to children, to help them develop a love of literature. The same love of literature given to me by my grandmother. Should she ever rise above that will only serve to reach more children, and I will be happy for that reason.

The second question is if I thought the series would lead to financial security? Again, Dani is a gift of love. My only hope is that the series will someday become self-supportive so that it can sustain itself so that I will be able to continue the series. There are plenty of other ideas and books in my head floating around and on my storyboard waiting to be written that I can produce if financial need arises. This is not Dani's job! The driving force behind Dani was one thing: a gift of love. It is my daughter's story. It is a gift from mother to child, to be passed down to her children someday. I write because I have stories to share. Hopefully along the way Dani's adventures will help to inspire other children and help them to develop their own creativity and imagination. That is Dani's purpose! Alas, if I could, I would give away the whole Dani P. Mystery series to every child I came across. Unfortunately, like the majority of the people in our world, I am not financially independent and it will need to be self-sustaining at some point and stand on its own two feet for it to survive.

In my mind, however, it has already succeeded. Its success is proven in the letters I receive from children, their excitement in the pictures they send me, and their colorful drawings. It is because of those things that I write this blog today with humble gratitude and I thank you for helping make this dream come true--for allowing me to share my stories and adventures with your child--and trusting me with your child's imagination.

Wishing you all a little adventure,

K. Lamb
Author of the Dani P. Mystery series

Its the adventures of Dani P.
Join her in her mysteries!


 photo DaniPromise_zps55d1649f.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment