Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kids, Toys & Reading

I wanted to do a follow up on my April 17, 2014 blog, Reading Tips for Toddlers.

In that article I touched on the importance of introducing books as early on as possible. I believe this is key. I also believe that reading has to be funI can't stress that enough. You can't pile books upon books onto your child and not expect them to squawk at the thought of reading. It is a gradual process. Once they are hooked, they'll pile their own books upon themselves! Although, I will honestly admit that my daughter did happily think the local bookstore was a toy store--but that was because we made it into an adventure!

So what do you do when your toddler is bored and completely rebels at the thought of playing with that board book or early picture book you excitedly bought? How can you get them interested in learning? I've already mentioned starting them on computer software games and apps--BTW, check out the new interactive app available on iTunes for toddlers, ages 2-5, called Peep's Spring Surprise by Jamie Stevens! My next suggestion is to introduce them to some of the electronic learning toys from Vtech and Leap Frog! I used to love buying these for my daughter. If you haven't figured it out, I am a huge proponent on buying anything that promotes education! Again, the key is NOT making it into a chore!

My husband comes from a big family. Therefore, I have a ton of nieces and a nephew that I am always having to shop for. While perusing the toy aisle this past weekend I came upon the perfect present for my nephew. He will be 12 months old this Christmas. So what does an "Auntie" that is also a children's writer buy her one-year old nephew? Vtech's Touch & Teach Turtle! It is the perfect interactive toy that will engage his senses. It makes me happy because it includes a "storybook", but it will keep him happy by involving three of his five senses: touch, sight, and auditory. The best part, it is a toy that will grow with him. The only problem I foresee is keeping his 3-year old sister from running off with it!



For a full list of products offered by Vtech and Leap Frog, please visit their websites at:

http://www.vtechkids.com
http://www.leapfrog.com

I hope this will give you one more tool in your arsenal of encouraging your child on his or her path to reading. Remember, an investment in your child is an investment in both your futures!

Wishing you all a little adventure,

K. Lamb
Author of the Dani P. Mystery series

It's the adventures of Dani P.
Join her in her mysteries!


http://www.danipmystery.com
http://www.facebook.com/danipmystery
http://www.twitter.com/danipmystery

No comments:

Post a Comment