Thursday, May 29, 2014

Writing Challenge for Kids!


What is your writing style? How do you go about putting a story together? I think this is different for everyone, and for me, there is no set pattern.

When it comes to writing, sometimes I just like the words to flow down on paper. It is a journey that unfolds in front of me on the computer screen. This perhaps may be the most exciting type of writing because I am just as engaged in the story line as a person reading it for the first time. I don't yet know what is about to happen until I turn that virtual page.

At other times I might be struck with the ending of a story. I can't tell you how many times an idea hits me and I think...what a great way to end a story! Then I have to construct that story going backwards. This is a bit more challenging because you have to maintain the integrity of that ending, but it is also an exciting process! It is critical to engage the reader early on so when you wrap up the book they can truly appreciate that ending you so vividly imagined.

Of course, there is also the storyboard or outline. As you all know this is where you layout your book ahead of time and you are following a path from the beginning to end. I do want to caution young writers of the importance of allowing themselves a bit of freedom when using this method. Allow yourself to deviate! Sometimes while in the process of writing you will be struck by an amazing new idea that will stray from your original process. Allow that to happen! Your writing will be richer for it and your story more intriguing.

Now for the challenge part of this article! I believe that reading and writing go hand-in-hand and that it is important for children to immerse themselves in both. If you are a parent or a teacher, I invite you to visit my website to learn more about my "Writing Challenge for Kids."

Parents, I currently have an individual writing competition for children up to age 12. I encourage them to write and submit their own original short story. It does not need to be a mystery. If it is selected as the winning entry, it will be featured on the Dani P. Mystery website, with your permission of course! They will also win an autographed copy of my latest book. The current writing competition ends June 1, 2014.

Teachers, would you like to get your classroom involved in this writing challenge? If so, please contact me via my website and I will be happy to send you a packet of information on what I have available for you.

I encourage both parents and teachers to visit my newly re-designed website where you will find not only a "Kid Zone" but a "Parent & Teacher" section as well with lots of activities and learning tools.

We all have the power to help further a child's learning. Reading and writing are skills they will need in their future. Who knows, maybe with your help they will someday be on the New York Best Seller List!

Wishing you all a little adventure,

K. Lamb
Author of the Dani P. Mystery series

Dani and the Mall Caper, the second book in the Dani P. Mystery series, has an official release date of May 15th on Amazon.com! Will you join her on her adventure?

It's the adventures of Dani P.
Join her in her mysteries!"


http://www.danipmystery.com
http://www.facebook.com/danipmystery - Please 'LIKE' us!
http://www.twitter.com/danipmystery or @danipmystery

No comments:

Post a Comment