Thursday, May 29, 2014

Nursery Rhymes for the Young and the Young at Heart


When I was quite young one of my favorite books was my Big Red Book of Nursery Rhymes. It was well loved and well worn. Whether I was curled up with my grandmother listening to her read them to me or I was dragging it off by myself, I loved the stories and the bright beautiful illustrations. I found time and again, even when I was past the age of reading young nursery rhymes, that I would still gravitate toward it. Maybe it was the sheer massiveness of it that made me feel like I was holding on to a treasured book that deserved to be passed down through generations. Or perhaps it was the memories it evoked. Sadly, it is not part of my collection today. From time to time I will wonder where it is. My heart hopes it is somewhere beloved by a child who is talking to the Man in the Moon, wondering why Little Jack Horner was such a good boy for sticking his thumb in a pie, or how come Little Miss Muffet didn't just squish the spider?

Nursery rhymes are an excellent way to start off young readers and to interact with your child. They are the perfect bedtime story--one you can commit to each night--as they are short and sweet. What better memory can you give your child than a kiss on the forehead and a sweet tale to send them off to dreamland? Who will they visit--- Old Mother Hubbard, The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe, or perhaps they will find a way to keep Humpty Dumpty on the Wall.

It's not too late. Make your memories today!

Wishing you all a little adventure,

K. Lamb
Author of the Dani P. Mystery Series

www.facebook.com/danipmystery (Please 'Like' Me!)
www.danipmystery.com - newly revised!

(Photo Source: http://ignitelearningllc.blogspot.com/2013_11_13_archive.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment